Alright, money is stressful. It's hard to be a college student. All of a sudden we have to pay for housing, food, and I hate to even bring up tuition. The point is that there's a lot of stuff that NEEDS to be paid for which makes spending money on stuff we WANT even harder.
For me, I almost never spent money on things that weren't absolutely necessary. I always reasoned that I didn't have the money, even if I did have it. I was just too hung up on holding on to it that I never spent it.
One day I was talking to my mom, trying to decide what I could and couldn't do because I "didn't" have the money. She told me that if I was never willing to spend anything then I was going to miss out on a lot of good things in life. She was right, as mother's usually are.
This semester I really had to try to spend money. It was hard. I didn't go crazy with it, but I spent it on things that mattered: going out to eat for a friend's birthday, various date activities, ingredients to cook for date night, or Groupons that gave me deals for snow tubing and roller skating. And you know what? It works. I still have money to pay all my bills and my bank account still continues to go up. But by spending a few extra bucks every now and then, on things that matter, I was able to have some great experiences with some amazing friends. Money became less of a stress as I was able to use it to get more out of life and have FUN doing the things I would have missed out on otherwise.
It is important to save money but it's also important to enjoy life. In a few years, you'll remember the things you did more than the fact that you saved $20. Don't miss out on the good things in life- have fun.
Cafe Zupas for a birthday dinner and snow tubing at Soldier Hollow.


No comments:
Post a Comment