Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Know any German?

This made my night, so I had to share. I was working in the Wilkinson Center computer lab on a Friday night. This really isn't a very fun shift. However, tonight an elderly man asked me if I knew any German because he needed some help. I only remember a few basic words from my years of high school German classes.  I answered him "ein bisschen," which means "a little" in German. 

He laughed appreciatively and asked me the German word for lilac. We discussed the miracle of Google translate and I gave him the word. He seemed surprised that I was able to do it with a German accent. He told me a story of the beautiful-smelling lilacs around his chapel right now.

It was a lot of fun to communicate with someone in German, even if I only knew a very little bit. I feel like he enjoyed meeting someone who knew some of his language. It was a great connection and I really did have a lot of fun exchanging a few German words back and forth. 

Fun really is everywhere. Even in a near-empty computer lab on a Friday night. :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment